Sunday, January 23, 2011

Winter Boredom Buster #2: Small objects.

Last night I raided the craft/ office supplies to see what could keep us busy before bedtime.  A pack of 50 multi-colored pencil erasers was a HUGE hit. I gave him the box and 4 plastic cups and he went to town for at least 20 minutes. 20 MINUTES! Even after that he would come back to them every so often. He would pick them up one at time and put them in one cup, then dump them into another, then stack the cups, then shake them out all over the floor. Really, I don't know why we got him any toys for Christmas, I can think of lots of household supplies that would work this well. Colored tape, plastic spoons, staples....wait.


I realize some people might think those erasers are not big enough for a less-than-two-year-old to play with. But he really doesn't put things in his mouth much anymore, and of course I was with him. Also, you may be thinking, "gosh they have a lot of loose wires hanging out." But I promise those are much farther under the console than they look and he can't reach them. Anyway, no reason to defend baby-proofing philosophies. We honestly never did much of it. We just tried to train him well and watch him closely. Boom- baby proofed.

While pencil erasers are great fun, I am painfully missing warm weather and evening sunlight. I cannot wait to take a walk or play in the backyard again. But it's not happening any time soon- this morning was 3 degrees. Ugh.







1 comment:

  1. Can I just say, I'm right there with you. We are looking for ALL ideas on how to entertain this kid, instead of letting him jump around on the floor and annoy our downstairs neighbors.

    Today, painting in the high chair and cereal and measuring cups.

    Also, I agree with your baby proofing, because you guys have to live in the house too... and kids can learn no.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.