Monday, September 26, 2011

Quilted Sewing Machine Cover

Sewing machine cover
A couple weeks ago, it was my friend Julie's birthday. I work with Julie at Sewn Studio, so I got to make a gift for a sewing friend- someone who can really appreciate a handmade gift. Not that other people don't appreciate very much my handmade gifts, it's just different getting to sew for a sewer. It's really fun because you know they will appreciate your thinking in fabric choices and things like quilting styles. Also, Julie is just an all around fantastic person, so that made this gift even more fun to make very late at night. 


 Quilting detail
I decided that an "organic" wavy line style would look good with this design. It was actually harder to do than I thought. It's much easier to just make straight lines, but I still really like the look. 


Cool side

Spicy side
One side is cool and one is spicier. It's funny how much I love this Lizzie House print in brown because I'm normally not drawn to brown fabrics. I think I may have to get more. And the binding is that yellow Annie's Seed Catalogue which I also might need more of. I can't wait to use the red that I have in that on something special. 

I just used my machine as a guide to make it, and it came to about 17" by 28." It was a really fun little last-minute quilting project. 














Fresh Lemons Quilts

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations


Celebrate Color



Fresh Poppy Design

17 comments:

  1. it's beautiful! I love your quilting - did you have your walking foot on for that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. You said it was harder than you thought - any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I made a sewing machine cover for mine too, though not quilted, just sewn, but I love having that personal little non-generic touch to add to my machine when not in use (which isn't very often!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, also meant to say that I love the organic wavy quilting lines. I've tried it, and though it's supposed to be "organic", I feel like it's something I need to practice! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I love that your mini-quilt is actually a sewing machine cover. Your friend is really going to appreciate this sweet gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to find the Celebrate Color button because I was thinking "this looks like fall" the whole way through! I especially like the bias stripe on the ties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so lovely, Jessica! The wavy quilting is a great choice. This makes me want to make another cover for my machine (the one I made is definitely not perfect-I could probably do better now!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking last night about how I needed to make a cover for my machine...as I was wiping the dust off mine. Yours looks great and I'm sure your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, Jessica! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love the colors! Isn't it funny that trying to make organic lines is harder than straight lines?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so lovely, Jessica! I love the colors and the quilting. I really should make myself one. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the gift! Great colors and organic quilting is the way to go. I totally understand the hand sewn gift thing. They just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great gift, I definitely need to make myself one of these too! Love the fabrics you chose so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's cute! I love that one side is warm and one side is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I shop at sewn and randomly found your blog through someone else's blog! Really love this- I may have to ask you details on how you did those ties the next time I'm in the store. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.